Our upcoming documentary film will highlight “Old Survivor”, the East Bay’s only remaining old-growth redwood, and tell the story of Oakland’s resilient, ecologically-amazing, and now-protected redwood forest.
Contribute now towards our fundraising goal and your donation will be doubled!
Awesome East Bay Realtors Jennifer Joey Smith and Tanja Odzak-Goppold will match your donation to our Old Survivor film project up to $2,500 total.
Featuring Save the Redwoods League, City of Oakland Parks, and the East Bay Regional Park District, the film will promote outdoor recreation and open space networks, encourage stewardship, celebrate local history, and educate the viewer about forest ecology, connecting people to the redwoods in their own backyard.
The World Premiere will be a free event for Oakland Trails members and special guests, and will simultaneously serve as Save the Redwood League’s Centennial Celebration in Oakland. Anticipated to be held at the Chabot Space & Science Center’s Megadome Theater on the evening of Tuesday, October 9, 2018, partners and community groups will be invited to table at the reception in the rotunda. We expect 1,000+ attendees over the course of the evening.
Corporate sponsorships are still available.
Join Save the Redwoods League, the East Regional Park District, and the Oakland Parks & Recreation Foundation in supporting our celebration of the East Bay redwoods.
As of July, 2018, we’ve raised $48,000 towards our $60,000 goal.
- Sam Hodder, President and CEO, Save the Redwoods League
- Emily Burns, Director of Science, Save the Redwoods League
- Robert E. Doyle, General Manager, East Bay Regional Park District
- Nicholas Williams, Director, Oakland Parks, Recreation, and Youth Development
- Jason Mitchell, Director, Oakland Public Works
- Deborah Zierten, Education & Interpretation Manager, Save the Redwoods League
- Stan Dodson, Co-founder and Director, Oakland Volunteer Park Patrol
December, 2017–March, 2018: Fundraising; Capture drone footage; Pre-production
March, 2018: Filming over 7 days
April, 2018–June, 2018: Film editing; B-roll; Archives
October 9, 2018: Premiere Event